Romanian Government Scholarships 2011-2012
Scholarships offered to foreign citizens by the Romanian state, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the GD 288/1993 (2011-2012 academic year)
Number of scholarships : 85 scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Romania, through the selection of files organized on the basis of regulations by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MECI).
Conditions for qualification : citizens from non-EU countries (whatever their country of residence). Precedence EU citizens from third countries with which Romania has executed documents to cultural cooperation. Note that for citizens of the Republic of Moldova shall apply to other scholarship programs.
Scholarships are granted for three levels of study :
- a) License : This program is intended for high school graduates or equivalent pre-university systems, as well as candidates seeking the recognition of partial studies and the continuation of their studies in Romania. The complete cycle for a period of 3-6 years, depending on the chosen faculty and ends with an examination of the license.
- b) Degree : This program is aimed at university graduates / post, it lasts for 1,5 to 2 years and ends with a dissertation.
- c) Ph.D. : This program is aimed at graduates of university / graduate – masters program is conducted over a period of 3-4 years, depending on the chosen faculty and ends with the support of a thesis.
Priority areas : will be promoted, with priority applications of candidates wishing to study political science and administration, science education, Romanian culture and civilization, journalism, technical studies, oil and gas, agricultural sciences, veterinary medicine, architecture and arts. Requests targeting other areas will not be rejected.
Language of study : To promote Romanian language and culture among foreigners, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has decided that recipients of scholarships awarded by the Romanian state to study Romanian language only. For candidates who do not speak Romanian, it is granted a preparatory year for the study of Romanian.
Deadline: 15 April 2011
Details here on how to apply http://www.mae.ro/en/node/5964 and below
The scholarship consists of :
- free-of-charge tuition
- free-of-charge accommodation (depending on availability, accommodation will be offered free-of-charge in students hostels, in keeping with the higher education regulations)
- financial support – a monthly amount representing :
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 65 EURO per month, for the under-graduate students (1st cycle)
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle
- the equivalent in Romanian currency of 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctor’s degree) 3rd cycle
These scholarships do not cover international and local transport. The candidates must be prepared to support personally any other additional expenses.
Calendar of financial support :
The monthly amount mentioned above is granted to the students of the 1st (licenta) and 2nd (master) cycle throughout the whole academic year, the winter and spring vacation included, but not during the summer vacation.
For full-time students of the 3rd cycle (doctorate), the monthly amount is granted throughout the whole calendar year.
Important for all scholarship holders (under- and post-graduate): The scholarships will be suspended if the student in any education cycle repeats a year due to poor results. It may be resumed in the following academic year, after the student has successfully graduated the repeated year. The students who repeat an academic year must pay the full study fees. The number of scholarship years will not be bigger than the respective education cycle.
To get all necessary information about the scholarships (conditions, necessary documents, enrolment calendar) and to submit their application files, the candidates should apply directly to :
- the Romanian diplomatic missions accredited to the candidate’s country of origin or of residence or to
- the diplomatic mission of candidate’s state of origin accredited to Bucharest
Application files submitted directly to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) or to the Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sports (MECTS), as well as application files received after the announced deadline will not be taken into consideration.
If the application files contain documents in other foreign languages than English or French, they must be accompanied by authorized translations in one of the following languages: Romanian, English or French. Generally, Romanian universities may require that all enrolment documents should be accompanied by authorized copies and authorized translations in Romanian.
It is of utmost importance to fill in correctly all forms.
The deadline for submitting the application files is established by each diplomatic mission. The candidate should enquire at the diplomatic mission about the enrolment calendar, starting 15 November 2010.
All application files should be sent by the Romanian diplomatic missions see more on page 2 below